Henry MILLER married Deborah ROGERS in Great Gaddesden in 1803. Deborah died a few months after the birth
of their son William in 1804. Henry married again - to Sarah STRATFORD.
William Miller was almost 21 years old when he married
Hannah LAWRENCE in Luton in 1825. By the
time William died, aged just 28, in December 1832, he and Hannah had had
four sons - Thomas, Henry Charles, William and John. Thirteen days after
Hannah had buried her husband she returned to St Mary’s Churchyard in
Luton to bury her youngest son, John.
Hannah herself died 1½ years later and was buried in the same
churchyard in May 1834. The three remaining sons were brought up by their
Luton is famous for its hat making and subsequent
generations of the MILLER family who stayed in Luton
were straw hat makers by trade.
Henry Charles MILLER married Jane OCLEE in Luton in 1846. The family left Luton for London in the 1860s.
It was in London’s East
End that their son Frederick MILLER married Louisa CLARK in 1880, shortly after which Frederick and Louisa
moved to Bermondsey. This was to be their family home for the rest of their
died in 1915 and Louisa brought up her grandson William Frederick RIPPER as well as other members of the RIPPER
and CAIN family at the family home in Compasses Court on Tower Bridge Road in Bermondsey.
William Frederick RIPPER is Ken RIPPER’s